I never ever ever thought I would be talking about our colon health on this blog. Yet here I am…
This is not a PSA to get a colonoscopy, although you should… Its about cleansing your colon of the years of buildup from eating our Western diet. I talked here about what the buildup of toxins in our body can do, and how we go about cleansing our bodies. First, we need to get our colon working correctly so we can get all the crap out (see what I did there?). And if you’ve had a colonoscopy and are starting to get cold sweats, it is not like that 2 day diarrhea-fest before the colonoscopy! I promise!
The large intestine, or colon, is actually pretty amazing. It is rich with blood vessels, so it can carry nutrients to the rest of the body. It also recycles most of the water and electrolytes that make it that far. The colon is filled with mucous glands to protect it from heavy metals and other toxins passing through. Certain foods, like processed foods, pasteurized milk products and artificial foods can cause these glands to overproduce and create a sticky glue-like substance that coats the walls of the colon, then hardens like cement. This is the stuff we need to clean out. It can clog up the colon and cause constipation (not drinking enough water or eating enough fiber are of course other constipation causes). It can become the virtual cesspool of the body, and the toxic build up can cause a host of problems throughout. The Royal Medical Society of Great Britain concluded that more than 65 different health problems can be caused by a toxic colon. It is estimated that people carry around an average of 7 pounds of fecal matter in their colon. Yuck! I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to get that stuff out of there!!
Here’s the goal folks- 2-3 bowel movements a day (let’s just call them BM’s) that are fast and easy to pass, well formed, and float in the toilet. Not only that, during our cleanse the goal is to pass that lining we’ve been discussing, its called the mucoid plaque. Its black and long and holds together in a tube like shape. When that is eliminated, we know we’ve hit the big time!
OK, so let’s talk details. How exactly do we do a cleanse? Let me just start by saying I’m not a doctor, and I highly recommend you do this while consulting with yours. This is not recommended to do for children under 12, or women who are pregnant or nursing unless under direct supervision of a physician. I’m going to tell you what I’ve learned and read about and what has worked for me so far. But I’ve just started this journey myself. I want to be healthy and get this toxic buildup out of my body and finally feel better. But let’s do this smart, and with all of the support we can get.
A good colon cleanse is balanced to help support the kidneys and liver while you are cleansing. A lot of toxins are released while cleansing and can make you feel sick. A well balanced cleanse is going to have herbs to help break up the mucus, release the lining, absorb the toxins so you don’t feel terrible, stimulate the colon to move properly and add bulk to help it move through the system.
The cleanse I am using is from Young Living Essential Oils. It is designed to cleanse your system and eliminate waste by supporting normal liver and colon function. I’ve used their oils and oil infused health products for over a year now and completely trust their integrity and high quality product. They have what’s called the Cleansing Trio just for this- its Comfortone, ICP and Essentialzyme, and they actually taste good and don’t make you feel sick while you’re taking it!
Are you itching for the details yet? Here goes!
- Start with one Comfortone in the morning. Comfortone is designed to restore peristalsis (proper movement) to the colon. It keeps things moving along… I’ve noticed my intestines can get gurgle 30-60 minutes after I take it. Don’t be alarmed! This is a good sign. The second day take one Comfortone in the morning and one at night before bed. The third day take two in the morning, and one at night. The next day take two in the morning and two at night, and so on. Building up to a maximum of 10 daily. Your goal is to get 2-3 BM a day that are fast and easy to pass, well formed and float. When you reach this goal you don’t need to add any more capsules. Stay on that level until you pass the mucoid plaque. If you are having diarrhea, decrease the capsules until it looks good.
- Along with the Comfortone, start taking Essentialzyme caplet 3 times daily, between meals.
- Make sure during this whole process you are drinking PLENTY of water! Most recommend at least half your body weight in ounces. I’ve heard to add 20 oz. to that number when you’re doing a cleanse. I love adding Lemon or Grapefruit Vitality Essential Oil to mine. I use Young Living oils, and I can only recommend oils based on this company as its the only one I trust for my family. I find the lemon especially stimulates my digestive system if I’m feeling I need some extra help.
- Once you’re having 2-3 BMs a day and you’ve reached the goal, its time to add in ICP. Start with 1 tsp. in the morning added to juice or water. Drink it down quick, and be sure you drink a lot of water with it! Add 1/2 tsp. per day until you reach 1T (3tsp) in morning and evening. I find I can down it easier if I add it to a small glass of juice, then down a whole glass of water after. I use a little whisk to get it all mixed up well. Stay on the Comfortone and Essentialzyme.
- Continue the cleanse until you pass the mucoid plaque. This may take between 6 weeks and 18 months according to the book.
- To help speed it along, you can use DiGize or Peppermint Vitality in your water or a capsule. Or you can rub them on the vita flex points for the colon on the bottoms of your feet. I know the foot thing sounds a bit odd, but I’ve used it when things weren’t moving along and it worked really well for me.
Some tips I’ve learned so far
- I have texture issues, so I like to mix the ICP with a couple ounces of juice with a little whisk then drink it down quick. I follow it immediately with 8 ounces of water. It needs the water since its fiber, but I just couldn’t gulp 8 ounces of the mixture.
- Once I got up to 3 capsules of comfortone and started the ICP, occasionally I would feel nauseous shortly after. I found it helped a lot if I drank a whole 20oz. water bottle with it with a drop of Lemon Vitality Essential Oil. I also rubbed some DiGize on my tummy and that kept things moving and calmed my stomach.
- Its an adjustment getting the capsules and ICP right. The main thing is don’t give up, and drink tons of water. Eating well makes a big difference for me too. I find when I’m eating poorly is when I start to get constipated or feel a bit nauseous.
- Remembering is hard for me! I made a little chart on my Daily BlackBoard (shown below). And I set my bottles out on the counter so that I see them first thing when I get up. This helped a lot for me!
I think that’s enough to get you guys started! If you do decide to give it a try, I highly highly recommend getting the book Inner Transformations Using Essential Oils by Dr. LeAnne Deardeuff. Its not about emotional transformation like I assumed when I bought it… Its all about cleansing and transforming your body system by system so that things work like they are supposed to. I LOVE it.
If you aren’t already connected with a Young Living distributor and are interested in learning more, please email me and I can help get you started! I’ve posted here about how much they have changed my life, and I absolutely LOVE supporting people and helping them reach their health goals too!
Here’s to a happy colon friends!
P.S. You’re welcome again for refraining from including any colon pictures…